Monday, August 11, 2008

Escape!

Scene:

It is 1:20 p.m. Emily has been in her crib yapping to herself (as she is wont to do) for about 20 minutes. Danielle is nursing Abby and watching a TiVoed episode of Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Danielle knows that, soon, Emily will stop talking and will fall asleep for her wonderful two hour afternoon nap. Danielle is not alarmed by the banging she hears on the baby monitor as Emily frequently bangs around in her crib before finally falling asleep.

Emily enters the room, announces, "I'm not sleepy anymore."

Aaaah! Emily jumped out of her crib, opened the closed door to her room, and failed to take a nap today. So, this afternoon, we went and bought some of those contraptions that childproof doors so that Emily can't get (1) out of her room, (2) into her bathroom, or (3) into her closet when she's supposed to be sleeping, and tonight we're converting the crib to a toddler bed. As if I'm not sleeping poorly enough (haven't slept through the night in 12 weeks, not even counting the end of the pregnancy where I was waking up constantly to go to the bathroom), now Emily is going to have this big transition.

So, wish us luck. I think we may need it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. When I put her down for her nap on Saturday, I had an inkling that it wouldn't be long, but goodness, she could have waited a little while longer. Love, GML

Anonymous said...

the curls belie the "ranger" beneath..GP'P

Anonymous said...

Keep the faith. This too shall pass. Let's hope and pray she will indeed nap in the toddler bed.
Love you,
Grandmother & Paw Paw Gerry

Anonymous said...

Tell her that all big girls take what we call a "power nap". It makes her beautiful, smart and well-read. Try that one. It can't hurt. If I can get a break one weekend next month, I will try and give you a little relief.
Love,
Kimmee

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry but I have to admit that I laughed when I read this post. Oh no! You are in for so much fun. Good luck. I'll be thinking about you. Hopefully, Emily will be taking her wonderful two hour naps again in no time.

elizabeth.speck said...

Yikes! No sleep for twelve weeks! That's nuts! Hang in there. It's so sad that children don't appreciate naps when they have the chance. I, for one, would LOVE a daily nap!

Emily

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Abby

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers