Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Emily's first day of school!

Everyone survived Emily's first day of mother's morning out, although the way things started, it wasn't clear that was going to be the case. Emily typically takes a morning nap 2-3 hours after she wakes up for the day; the morning nap is typically less than an hour long. This morning, she woke up at 6:15ish, and by 7:45, she was in tired cranky mode. We were less attentive to her than we usually are because both Robert and I were trying to get ready -- him for work and me for my 9 a.m. legal writing class. So, by the time Robert was ready for work and to be our cameraman for the first day of school pictures, Emily was in a HORRIBLE mood.This, I thought, does not bode well for an easy day at school. I loaded Emily up a little earlier than we needed to leave, pulled the pacifier that was keeping us both from losing our sanity out of her mouth, put in a Kindermusik CD, and started singing and dancing at her while we drove around for a few minutes, hoping I would settle her down some before we got to school.
It worked. By the time we pulled into the carpool line, she was in a pretty good mood. While we waited for a teacher to come get her (they come and pull the kids out of the cars, which is awesome), we talked about how much fun she was going to have playing with her new buddies. When the teacher opened the car door to retrieve Emily, Emily turned to look at her, starting waving hello, and was all smiles. Whew.
Of course, I immediately started crying and had to call Robert to commiserate on how our baby is all growed up! I managed to pull myself together and go teach my class, then ran some errands, paid some bills, and graded some papers, all the while checking my watch to make sure it wasn't time for me to go pick her up yet.
She was in a delightful mood when I picked her up, and when we got home I must have hugged and smooched her a million times. She had lunch and pretty immediately crashed. Going to school makes you tired!
Here are a couple of the non-crying pictures we managed to take before Robert left for work.

What a fun and exciting milestone. Where did my baby go???

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

tired but a trooper, playing is hard but somebody has to do it..she is a doll..GPP

Rocky Mountain Fighting Tigers said...

What a big girl! What an amazing milestone. COngrats to both. And happy late bday. I love mexican food as well. All that food looks delicisious.

Anonymous said...

She's just becoming more of a little girl. That's all. She is still best buddies with her mom and that is something I know will never change. I love y'all.

Papa

Anonymous said...

I knew she would be a model student. Bet she is already the teacher's pet!
Love ya'll,
Grandmother

Kirk & Matt said...

Awww, she's getting so big (but don't worry, not THAT big!) Love the tutu and soccer video.

Roberts Family Blog said...

That's great that she had a good time at school. I know I will cry to when Ethan has his first day.

Anonymous said...

Being a teacher myself, I know Emily's teachers must think she is just the cutest student! Glad the first day was a good one. There will be more exciting times ahead for our little Ireland girl!
Happy Birthday and Much Love to a wonderful Mom and cousin!
Nanny K

NIKKI said...

AWW I bet the teachers did love them!!! She will love it more and more every day she goes!!

Michele said...

Way to go Emily...such a big girl!

Anonymous said...

That is great! She is getting so big! Lilly really started to grow up fast when she started school. Watch out!!

Emily

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Abby

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers